Data Records allows HowNow to deal with multi-file accounting system databases such as those used by MYOB, Quickbooks, Cash Flow Manager, Phoenix, etc as if they were a single record.
This means that data files received from clients can be easily captured as a single HowNow record and then opened with one click without having to know which application or version of an application was used to create the database. Please note, because of changes by MYOB some versions of that product cannot be used as data records. See MYOB Data Records Compatibility for more information.
Data records are stored under a folder with the same name as the record title plus a record number. Files can be added to or removed from this folder (within reason) without affecting the record.
Adding Data Records
There are a number of ways to add data records, here are two of them:
- Drag and drop the file and if the file has the appropriate file extension, you will be asked if the file is a client's accounting data file. If it is answer Yes to this question.
- Or in the Ribbon on the Records tab click on the Import button Choose Files as Data Records from the following options:
- Files in a Folder
- Files as Data Records
- The remainder of the steps will be the same for whichever method is used to add the files.
- You will be presented with the Destination tab - complete the Area, Contact, Location, Link Description, Keywords, Partner, Manager, Reviewer, Signatory, Move or Copy and Record Status (refer to HowNow New Profile Wizard in Adding Documents to Records).
- Click Next.
- The Application Tab will appear.
- Application: (Mandatory) Choose the applicable application from the drop-down list. If the application you need isn't on the list, see Toolbar Applications.
- Location: (Mandatory) Click the Browse button to select the location of the data files.
- Title: The title of the record to be created. This field will default to the name of the data file found above.
- Start File: The name of the main database file. This field will default to the name of the main data file found above.
- Data File Extensions: The extensions of the types of files making up the client accounting database.
- Click Next.
- A list of files will appear. Use the checkbox beside each file or the Deselect/Select All button to deselect/select files for import.
- Click the Process button to start the import.
Changing the Data Record Application
A HowNow data record contains details of the application that is needed to open the data record. This option allows the application used to open the data record to be changed, if, for example, the current application is the wrong version. Right-click on the data record and then choose Change Data Record Application.
- Application - choose the appropriate application for this data record from the drop-down list. Then click OK to save the change. Note: see Toolbar Applications for details of the contents of the drop-down list.
- Start File - optional - the name of the data file to be opened. Do not change this unless instructed to do so by Business Fitness support.
- Content - shows the files contained within the data record. This is useful to check that all the required files are present.
- Create Record button - used to create a new record from one of the files in the data record. One and only one item in the content must be checked to enable the button. Note that the original data record is unchanged.
- Save As button - used to save a file from the data record to a location outside of Records.
- Click OK to change the application.
Convert to Data Record
If a file already exists in HowNow, you are able to convert this to a data record. From the Records search grid, right click on the file and select Convert to Data Record. Note: All versioned files for the record will be lost.
You will be presented with the Application tab to choose the appropriate application. Select the file or files for processing and then press Process.