Data Records allows HowNow Records to deal with multi-file accounting system databases such as those used by MYOB, Quickbooks, Cash Flow Manager, Phoenix, etc, as if they were a single record.
This means that data files received from clients (or ones that are already on your server) can be easily captured as a single HowNow record and then opened with one click without having to know which application or version of an application was used to create the database. Please note, because of changes by MYOB some versions of that product cannot be used as data records. See 2016 MYOB AccountRight Compatability for more information.
Data records are stored under a folder with the same name as the record title plus a record number. Files can be added to or removed from this folder (within reason) without affecting the record.
Use Import from the Records Ribbon to import existing client accounting data files into the Records database.
When the Import Wizard appears choose Files as Data Records and press Next.
Complete the details in the Destination tab and click Next.
Complete the following details in the Application tab.
- Application: (Mandatory) Choose the applicable application from the drop-down list. If the application you need isn't on the list, see Toolbar Applications.
- Location: (Mandatory) Click the Browse button to select the location of the data files.
- Title: The title of the record to be created. This field will default to the name of the data file found above.
- Start File: The name of the main database file. This field will default to the name of the main data file found above.
- Data File Extensions: The extensions of the types of files making up the client accounting database. This specifies which files are displayed on the next screen.
Select the file or files for import and press Process.
Changing the Data Record Application
A HowNow data record contains details of the application that is needed to open the data record.
This option allows the application used to open the data record to be changed, if, for example, the current application is the wrong version.
Right-click on the data record and then choose Change Data Record Application.
- Application - choose the appropriate application for this data record from the drop-down list. Then click OK to save the change.
Note: see Toolbar Applications for details of the contents of the drop-down list.
- Start File - optional - the name of the data file to be opened. Do not change this unless instructed to do so by support.
- Content - shows the files contained within the data record. This is useful to check that all the required files are present.
- Create Record button - used to create a new record from one of the files in the data record. One and only one item in the content must be checked to enable the button. Note that the original data record is unchanged.
- Save As button - used to save a file from the data record to a location outside of Records.
Click OK to change the application.
Convert to Data Record
If a files already exists in HowNow, you are able to convert this to a data record.
From the Records search grid, right click on the file and select Convert to Data Record.
Note: All versioned files for the record will be lost.
You will be presented with the Application tab to choose the appropriate application.
Select the file or files for processing and then press Process.