The Export Wizard allows documents, records or jobs to be exported to a folder on a hard drive, as an email attachment or to a website.
In the case of records they can be exported as individual files or as a HowNow export file which contains meta-data and allows easy import into another HowNow database.
In addition, records exported as a HowNow Export file can be flagged as 'Checked-out' so that they cannot be modified until they are 'Checked-in'.
In Records, select the documents you wish to export and then right-click on one of the documents and choose Export. The Export Wizard dialog will appear.
- The following choices are available:
- To a Folder: exports to a specified file folder.
- Via Email: exports as email attachments.
- To the HowNow Portal: exports to the HowNow Portal (only available if the Portal module has been installed).
- Depending on the option chosen above, enter the required destination:
- To a Folder: enter or browse to the destination file folder.
Via Email: enter the email address required.
Note: HowNow will attempt to find the email address of the contact associated with the record.
- Via the HowNow Portal: enter the desired location
- The following options are available (except when exporting to the portal).
Include Profiles - tick this option to include the document or record's profile information (meta-data) with the export. This makes importing of the documents easier at some later stage.
Note: ticking this option automatically enables the HowNow Export Format.
HowNow Export Format - tick this option to export the documents or records as a HowNow Export file. This is a single compressed file containing all of the exported documents or records and their profile information if Include Profiles is ticked. It is an efficient way to export a large number of documents or records and, if the profiles are included, allows them to be automatically imported into another HowNow database.
A HowNow Export File has the name HowNow_Export_YYMMDDHHMMSS (where YYMMDDHHMMSS is the date and time the file was created) and the extension of .hnd (for documents), .hnr (for records) or .hnj (for jobs).
Check Out - set each exported document or record as being checked out. This prevents editing of the document or record until the document or record is checked back in. See Editing Item Profiles or Editing Record Profiles.
Note: Importing a record automatically clears the Checked-out setting if the imported document or record title matches an entry in the HowNow database.
- Include Profiles - tick this option to include the document or record's profile information (meta-data) with the export. This makes importing of the documents easier at some later stage.
- Click the Process button to create the export files.