The types of documents added to Knowledge are usually related to your firm, rather than your clients. Documents such as Training Manuals, Templates, HR Documents, Procedures, Letters, Administration Documents would be added in the Knowledge area of HowNow.
Documents can be added to HowNow manually via Drag and Drop, by using the Right-click menu, using the Office Add-in, or by scanning . If the Records module is installed, Records can also be added automatically via drag & drop, when a document is opened or created via merge documents from Knowledge. See Adding Records to Record Manager.
Adding Documents via Drag and Drop
Select one or more files from Windows Explorer, Microsoft Outlook, your desktop, or another application. Click on the selected files, hold down the left mouse button and drag the documents over the HowNow icon on the start or task bar but do not release the left button. When the HowNow main screen appears, move the cursor to the middle of the screen and release the left mouse button.
1. The HowNow New Profile Wizard appears.
Note: use the Preview button to preview the incoming document.
2. Choose Knowledge to add documents to the Knowledge Database. (To add a record see Adding Records to Records Manager)
3. Continue from the Adding Documents Manually section below.
Adding Documents via MS Office Add-ins
MS Excel, MS Word can have Add-ins loaded for easy adding of documents into HowNow.
Follow the steps for adding and using Office Add-ins.
Adding Documents via MS Outlook
Adding emails automatically when sending and deleting is simple with the use of the Email Manager Add-in.
Follow the steps for adding and using the Email Manager Add-in.
Adding Documents via the Right-click Menu
Right-click on the search results grid and select New
The New Profile Wizard - Document Type Selection will appear a little differently, allowing the choice of creating a New Document or Template, as well as adding an Existing Document.
- Select the appropriate Document Type from the drop down list.
- Choose Document to add a new or existing document to HowNow.
- Select Existing Document if you are adding a document that has already been created, select Based on a Template if you are creating a new document, or select New Word Template to create an empty Microsoft Word template document.
Click the Browse button at the end of the “File or Template Name” field, and browse to the required document or template.
Select the appropriate Destination Folder from the drop-down. The default is “Content\” if you are adding a normal Profile you wish to be accessible via the Knowledge area of HowNow.
Choose Note to create a profile-only entry. No document is attached as the description field contains all the necessary information.
Choose Web Page to create a direct link to a web address. Enter the web page address in the Address field.
Click Next.The New Profile Wizard - Document Profile box appears. Continue with the steps below- Adding Documents Manually.
Adding Documents via Copy and Paste
Copy a document from a location on your computer or from HowNow Knowledge, click anywhere on the knowledge grid and press paste Ctrl+V, or select paste from the right-click menu.
Adding Documents Manually
- Title - The default is the name of the incoming document. Change it if required.
Note: the document will be stored in the HowNow database with the same name as the title.
- Description - Enter any additional description here. As HowNow searches all fields it is not necessary to repeat the title here.
- Standard Key Words - Enter any standard search keywords here.
- Custom Key Words - Enter any additional, firm specific keywords here. This field is not updated if this document is updated via the HowNow content update process.
Note: Enter words in the Standard and Custom Keywords fields that do not appear in either the Title or the Description fields, but you suspect might be words or acronyms users might enter when searching for this Item. Consider plurals and alternative spellings (including common misspellings).
Document Type and Procedural Area - Select the appropriate areas from the drop-down lists. See Document Types and Procedural Areas for more information.Move or Copy Document - The default is to move the incoming document into the HowNow database but these options allow for a copy to be made instead, which will leave the original file in the existing location.
Click Next. The New Profile Wizard - Advanced Tab appears.
Set Template Options
- Leave the check boxes, Document is Active and Set as current edition in their default state.
- Select the Open as Editable document checkbox if you are adding a document whose master version is always edited or added to by standard HowNow users (e.g. a log of some sort).
- The Has been Modified check box signifies that the document has been edited and should therefore be reviewed carefully if it is the subject of a content update.
Set Record Options
- Select the Automatically file to records checkbox if the records module is installed and you want HowNow to automatically create a record from this document when it is opened.
- Clear record description - select this if you do not wish for the knowledge document description to flow through to the record.
- Clear record keywords - select this if you do not wish for the knowledge document description to flow through to the record.
- Turn on record versioning - set this option if new versions of records are to be created every time the record is edited.
Set-up Document for Merge
- Select the Document has merge fields checkbox if you are adding a document (such as a standard letter template) that will need to be populated with data. The File Automatically checkbox will be checked.
- If required, specify a style template for this document. If a style template is not attached, HowNow uses the default style template when producing a merge document.
Add Document to One of My Lists
- Select the Add to my favourites list checkbox if you would like this Item to be added to your My Favourites list.
Note: This does not add the document to other users’ My Favourites list.
- Select the Add to my review checkbox if you would like this Item to be added to your My Review list.
- Select the Add to my news checkbox if you would like this item to be added to your My News list.
Change Document Properties
- Enter the Owner and Author of the document - optional.
- Select an Expiry date if the item is to expire at a specified time and choose an Action to be performed when the expiry date is reached.
The action options are:
Warning Message – any user opening the item is warned that the item has expired but is allowed to continue.
Set To Inactive – the item is set to inactive when the Administrator opens HowNow on the day the item is set to expire.
- Select the appropriate Approval Status.
- If required change the Content Module by selecting New.
- Click Next. The Revision Notes dialog appears.
- Click New Note if you wish to enter an administrative note about this document. Refer to Entering Revision Notes in Document Profiles for details.
- If the Topics is turned on, click Next. The Topics dialog appears. (Refer to the section Topics if you require more Topics to be set up.)
- Select the Topics that apply to this document.
- If the Team Security is turned on, click Next. The Visibility dialog appears.
- Select the teams that are allowed to view this document. The default is Everyone (All Teams).
- Click Finish. The document has now been added to your HowNow knowledge database.
Note: The information you entered into this document’s Profile is the “metadata” (information about information) that will make the document easy to find in HowNow.
Adding Documents via Scanning
HowNow can receive scanned documents and records either directly from a scanner or via email or a watch folder.
Scanner Direct: Most scanning software allows a Send To button to be created. In the field that asks for the application to send to, enter the path to the HowNow.exe file.
Scan to Email: If the scanner creates email, they can be either automatically captured by the HowNow Email Manager or by dragging and dropping them into HowNow.
Scan to Folder: If the scanner saves to a folder, HowNow can automatically monitor and capture files added to a nominated folder. The default location is My Documents\HowNow. Folder monitoring must be enabled in System Options and Employees.
The HowNow New Profile Wizard will appear.
- Choose Documents to add documents to the Document Database. To add a record see Adding Records to Record Manager.
- Click Next.
- The Document Type tab will appear.
- Do not change any fields as the default values are correct.
- Click Next and then continue from step 2 in the Adding Documents Manually section.
Open as an Editable Document
Knowledge documents open as Read Only by default. To set a document to open as editable in the Knowledge tab, right-click on the document, click on Profile and go to the Advanced tab. Tick the Open as an Editable check box.
To Share an Excel workbook choose the 'Share Workbook' settings in Excel before saving the document again.